Travel Talk - Iceland With Anita Grunder
Travel Talk - Explore the wonders of Iceland with OSU Professor Emerita Anita Grunder
What do cocktails and volcanoes have in common? Find out when you join the OSUAA Alumni Group Travel Program for an evening with Anita Grunder, professor emerita in the OSU College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences.
During this casual conversation, you will explore Iceland – the land of fire and ice – through the eyes of a geologist. Hear as Grunder highlights the work done by OSU faculty and alumni in the area, including:
- Examining the dramatic landscape, including volcanoes, geysers, hot springs and lava fields.
- Discussing the active eruption on Mount Fagradalsfjall.
- Sharing the offshore geologic work by international teams, including OSU researchers.
We will also learn how to make your own Arctic Hotspot - an Iceland-inspired cocktail that is "mixed" with a little geology! Not only will the cocktail be tasty, it is a lesson in density and viscosity.
You will need:
- A clear Martini glass
- Grenadine or red raspberry syrup
- Blue Curaçao (or Triple Sec with a drop of blue food coloring)
- Reyka Vodka (or any vodka, we chose Reyka because it is from Iceland!)
There are a few other optional ingredients, but you will have to wait for the event to hear how to "spice" it up.
At the end of the conversation, you won’t want to miss a travel preview of two August 2022 tours to Iceland.
- Exploring Iceland: Iceland only – departing Aug. 27, 2022
- Viking Views & Vistas: Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Scotland & Norway – setting sail Aug. 15, 2022
About our speaker:
Professor Emerita, Geology, College of Earth, Ocean, and Atmospheric Sciences